For the topic of discussion- how about a discussion on the current global food crisis -
"The head of the United Nations' world food program says "a perfect storm" is hitting hungry people around the globe. The cost of food is soaring. Food riots have broken out in Indonesia, Pakistan, and Egypt, where the price of bread rose 10 times in a week. Afghanistan has asked for urgent help. Forty countries are judged to be at risk of serious hunger, or already suffering from it.
Here in America the number of people using food stamps is projected to be the highest since the program began in the 1960s."
1. The World Food Crisis - http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04
2. Hunger in America - http://www.pbs.org/moyers
3. Asian Food Crisis - http://www.iht.com/articles
4. 30 Years ago Haiti grew all the rice it needed. What happened now? - http://www.counterpunch.org
5. "India clocked in 94th in the Global Hunger Index - behind Ethiopia"
Indexing inhumanity, Indian style - article by Sainath - http://www.indiatogether.com